This page is for Government of Yukon staff and eligible vendors so they can get new services and websites translated. All initial requests for translation must come through the department service owner.
Government of Yukon services and websites should be available in both English and French to meet digital service standard #7 to deliver a bilingual service.
Contact the French Language Services Directorate (FLSD)
The department service owner should email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org about the project as soon as possible. Share the information you have, you can always fill in the blanks as the project progresses.
If a vendor will be working on content, introduce FLSD to the vendor so they can communicate with one another.
Create a translation plan
Work with FLSD to develop a translation plan. They can advise you on what will work best for your project. Your plan should include:
- An understanding of approvals and workflow.
- What tools you'll use to track translation. For example, GatherContent, or Word documents.
- How you'll provide translators with other service or website elements that will need to be translated.
- How you'll submit the content. For example, in bundles or as a complete package.
- Timelines and deadlines to submit and receive translations.
- Who will build the French pages and add the translated content. FLSD can publish French-language content into services and websites if there is an agreement that FLSD will lead this work.
Develop a plan to test the French content
We recommend you include French content in your user testing as soon as you can. Even if a service or website looks and functions properly in English, it might not look or function the same in French. For example, when you translate a page title, it adds more characters and this can affect how a page or feature displays.
FLSD will test the following:
- The translated content makes sense in the context of the page.
- Everything that can be translated, is translated.
Develop a plan to maintain content
You should have a plan to manage the French side of your service or website after it goes live.
Work with the French Language Services Directorate (FLSD) to create a plan to maintain the French content on your service or website.