Once a public-facing digital project is funded, eServices will meet with the department service owner to go through this pre-discovery survey. This will help us determine our role in the project.
Download a copy of the eServices pre-discovery checklist.
Questions we ask in the pre-discovery survey
History and background
- What is the problem you’re working to solve?
- What is your idea to solve this problem?
- Is this a net new idea or does it update or improve an existing service or product?
- Why is this important to the public?
- Why is this important to your organization and your department?
- What political, legal, or social impact will this project have?
Budget and requirements
- Is the project funded by the Information Resource Management Committee (IRMC), department capital, or O&M?
- Has the project been reviewed by IRMC and approved to go ahead?
- Does the project have a concept case or requirements documentation? If yes, provide the location of both documents.
- Have requirements in any form or detail been completed?
- If yes, also provide the location of any requirements documentation and a brief description of how they were produced.
Priority and planning
- When does this need to be launched?
- What external factors could influence your timeline?
- What stage is the project in now? (Concept, approved, implementation in progress, other)
- Why is this a priority?
- Is there a defined project team? For example, a project manager, subject matter expert, service owner, etc.
- Who are your primary users? Provide examples of individuals, businesses, stakeholders, government officials, etc.
- Why would your primary users access this product or service?
- How often will the users need to use the product or service?
- Approximately how many people will use this service each year?
- If this is an update to an existing service, provide key performance indicators (KPIs) that are currently tracked. For example, the volume of digital users versus existing channels.
- How and when do you envision people would find out about your product?
This section will be completed by eServices following meeting with the client for the section above.
Readiness, reach, and replicability
- a clearly defined problem?
- an empowered service owner with a clear path to deploy a solution?
- a commitment to adopt user-centric, open, and agile techniques?
- flexibility concerning the technology solution?
- broader organizational awareness and support?
What is the:
- nature of the target audience? For example, seniors or licence applicants.
- number of potential service users?
- nature and scope of the service impact on the user? For example, saving time, saving money, or improving health.
- scale the solution to other users, within the organization, across government, or with other partners?
- package up the solution and share it for others to use?
- leverage this project to unlock a barrier to service transformation?
Requirements and dependencies
- Have eServices staff reviewed available project documentation? For example, concept case, requirements, etc.
- What is the anticipated scope of eServices involvement?
- What will be expected of eServices, based on the concept case and the outcome of this pre-discovery exercise?
- Can the project utilize existing tools and technologies we have in use?
- What new tools or technologies may need to be created in order to support delivery of this service?
- Is there guidance published on the Digital Standard to support the design and development of this service?
- What is the eServices timeline to follow up or deliver on any of the items above?
Planned next steps
- Based on this survey, is eServices involvement in this project anticipated? If so, is the involvement immediate, or in a future phase?
- Is there anyone in the eServices team that would be ideal for this project? If so, who and why? For example, their expertise, their availability, their interests, etc.
- Does the client have a project manager available or will eServices provide or source this role?
- Are there any risks to the project risks identified based on the information provided above?